This Is Why You Never Order Custom Cakes From WalMart

October 23rd, 2007 | by MG | (Visited 577,829 times)

Funny Cakes - The Divorce CakeI’m guilty of doing last minute shopping at Walmart when birthdays or special events roll around. Although I’ve yet to order a custom cake for any sort of special event like a going away party, birthday, etc.

One of the supervisors called a Walmart and ordered the cake. he told them to write: “best wishes Suzanne” and underneath that write “we will miss you”. here’s the cake that was delivered:

Walmart Messes Up Cake - Funny Picture

When I read this, I about fell out of my chair. There’s a Super Target (“Super” in Arizona implies they sell groceries as well) across the street from a Super Walmart down here. They offer the same things, operate less than a quarter mile from each other, and yet both are dramatically different. Target of course is cleaner, seems to offer higher end items (though it all could just be better packaging of the same crap), and is a tad more expensive.

And then there’s Walmart, in all its glory… Most of the time it’s not a bad place to get groceries. They match anyone’s coupons, have a good selection, and if you ignore the fact that sometimes you will see flies raiding their potatoes, some of their perishable food items aren’t that bad either. But you know you’re in Walmart.

Socially it seems that certain people either “fit in” at Target, or fit better with Walmart. You’ll be more likely to see a Lexus SUV in the Target parking lot. You’ll be more likely to spot a woman with 6 children packing themselves into a 15 year old minivan at Walmart.

But that doesn’t mean Walmart is “bad”.. just means that you should be aware of where you’re shopping and that sometimes the price is right. Or in other words, you get what you pay for.

I don’t know how custom cakes stack up with Target vs Walmart.. but I know that after seeing this picture, I’ll either order my cake EARLY, or I’ll pay the extra price and go somewhere that can read, write, and interpret the English language.

RSS feed | Trackback URI

93 Comments »

Comment by wildflower
Oct 23, 2007 12:05 PM

Walmart is better at giving haircuts than making cakes.

Comment by sat
Oct 23, 2007 12:05 PM

They give manicures and pedicures too now!

Comment by Tausha Hayes
Aug 02, 2008 7:23 AM

This one is for Ginnie the author of the article above(Could’t get the comment thing to work). You are very right there is a mass difference between Walmart and Target. The person driving the lexus is probably in debt and the women with the six children who drives an old mini van is probably not in debt. Her vehicle is more than likely paid for and she is probably shopping at Walmart to save money. This just means she is smart. Just wait the Lexus owners credit card debt and high car and mortgage payments will eventually eat them alive and they will wish they had shopped smart like the lady with the six children.

Comment by Wal-Mart Shopper
Jul 18, 2009 4:45 PM

BOOOO-YAH!!!

(Comments wont nest below this level)
Comment by Candice
Oct 06, 2009 6:59 AM

“You’ll be more likely to spot a woman with 6 children packing themselves into a 15 year old minivan at Walmart.”

That’s a nasty thing to say. Do you have something against women, children or minivans?

Comment by monique
Feb 19, 2010 12:42 PM

I agree with tausha, Ginnie seems a bit racist and judgmental. I shop at a walmart supercenter very consistently, i am a USC grad, advertising sales manager for a forbes top 100 company and have a small family. Walmart consistently has good quality of grocery items as well as low cost. Target is a good company as well, however, the Lexus vs minivan analogy is ludicrous. It shows how unaware ginnie is in relation to society. Most people shop by closeness,price and preference for type of goods. I feel bad for the cake lady, and obviously there was miss-communication and a language barrier. It is a totally funny story and I bet the party people have a cute story to tell forever and had more fun than if it were perfect. who doesn’t like a good laugh.

(Comments wont nest below this level)
Comment by Ginnie
Feb 19, 2010 7:46 PM

Afraid you’re wrong Monique – I shop there more than you think. The greeters at several local Walmart Supercenters know me and my kids by name :)

However, the car observation is 100% spot on in the neighborhood I referenced.

This isn’t about being judgmental though, it’s about a hilarious mistake on a cake. Relax!

Comment by kybo
Oct 23, 2007 12:06 PM

Hahaha, this is awesome!

I wonder if they took someone from the nail salon to write on cakes for the day?

Comment by Drew
Oct 23, 2007 9:21 PM

I work in as a manicurist in a nail salon. I hold a BS in secondary education and a B.S. in physics.

Comment by zhokuai
Oct 24, 2007 3:34 AM

Well, that’s quite a lot of BS you have there.

(Comments wont nest below this level)

Comment by BS
Oct 24, 2007 4:58 AM

I’m calling BS on this one. Did you get cosmology and cosmotology mixed up?

BTW Wallyworld sucks!

(Comments wont nest below this level)

Comment by Tim
Oct 24, 2007 7:21 AM

And you can’t form a sentence, either…

(Comments wont nest below this level)

Comment by genetic lemon
Oct 24, 2007 10:37 PM

Fantastic! You’ve wasted your life, tuition, and your degrees! Do you live in a cardboard box as well?

(Comments wont nest below this level)
Comment by blaster gas
Oct 30, 2007 5:03 PM

No, it just goes to show you that it is quite worthless these days to get educated. Bubbas make way more money working blue collar jobs than I do at my degree required job.

Comment by Isabel
Nov 29, 2007 9:02 PM

We need you in the Coast Guard. Willing to serve?

Isabel

(Comments wont nest below this level)

Comment by The Money Moose
Oct 23, 2007 12:43 PM

I think I’ll stick with WalMart for the basic stuff. I doubt they can manage much more.

Comment by Zac
Oct 23, 2007 12:52 PM

Target is a more-than-minimum-wage retailer (part of Dayton-Hudson Corp on Minnesota) and adheres to liberal (i.e., humanistic) employer/employee relations. WalMart hires people for the cheapest wages they can pay. ‘Nuff said.

Comment by Ginnie
Oct 23, 2007 1:00 PM

That makes sense. You tend to see older people working at walmart, where as the target there seems straight out of high school.

I’ve heard some stories from the management at Target and it does sound like a decent place to work. Same goes for Costco (which from a sign I saw outside my local store starts you off at $11/hour).

Comment by JKfan87
Oct 24, 2007 9:35 PM

Zac…Except that you are lying, or ignorant or both. Walamrt’s average salary is HIGHER than Target. MUCH higher than minimum wage.
Hey, lying idiot..how come when they were debating on raising the minimum wage that Walmart was the ONLY big box sotre that was not REALLY against it? It is simple. Becuase hteir starting salary for almost all positions was already higher than the proposed new minimum wage. Hence, while Target and K-Mart, and all the others that had lower salaries would feel the pinch, Walmart would be unaffected.

Seriously, Zac…did you really expect that no one was going to call you on that lie? It is VERY common knowledge that Walmart pays more tha minimum wage, and pays more at each level than other stores.

Comment by Re10
Oct 24, 2007 11:26 PM

Actually, Targets salary is quite a bit higher than Walmart’s. Walmart may pay above minimum wage, but its not higher than Target. My roomate just switched from Walmart to Target based on the sole reason that their starting pay is higher.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before calling someone an idiot…

(Comments wont nest below this level)

Comment by David
Oct 24, 2007 11:33 PM

Please, please, please – Use a spelling checker when you make a rebuttal. Everything you had to say was fine – in fact, your comments were intelligent and well thought out. But, your spelling errors, part of the new chat mentality, where, as long as you can move your fingers over the keyboard, anything is fine, were not appreciated by me.

(Comments wont nest below this level)
Comment by tazz
Dec 26, 2007 12:31 PM

LOL
sore loser
it doesn’t matter if he/she spelt correctly or not

Comment by Ariel
Oct 23, 2007 2:11 PM

I one time received a credit card offer from MBNA. I already had a card with them, and they were offering me an additional one.

I asked that they also put my wife on the card. They asked for first name, I told them (let’s pretend Beth F.). They asked for last name I said: ‘the same as mine’.

I received a card for ‘Beth F. Same’.

It’s not just walmart that hires robots…

Comment by wannabe
Oct 23, 2007 2:14 PM

Wow. If you’re going to screw up, at least spell your screw up correctly. It’s like a double-whammy. Be thankful that at least most of the words were spelled correctly. “wil mis u soozann”

Comment by AndyB
Oct 23, 2007 2:47 PM

Thing is, that screw-up makes life much more interesting then everything being 100% correct.

I mean, it made you laugh, didn’t it?

Comment by Art
Oct 23, 2007 3:19 PM

My wife wanted to get me an “erotic” cake that said “Breast Wishes”. When she opened the box at my party, I got a different cake.

Comment by Ginnie
Oct 23, 2007 3:39 PM

Art, looks like you’ll need to copy and paste that image – when I clicked on it I got the main site’s logo but a copy + paste showed me what you were getting at ;)

Comment by Alex de Lastname
Oct 24, 2007 1:35 AM

Man, that pic is gross for a guy to see, expecially on a cake that you will eat. Unpalatable.
Where are the breasts?

This is the url:

Comment by Dan
Oct 23, 2007 4:11 PM

Once, a store misspelled ‘congratulations’ as ‘congradulations’. Fortunately, it was a graduation/birthday party. I assumed they were being clever, but they had no way of knowing it was a graduation party!

Oct 23, 2007 5:16 PM

[...] another shining example of WalMart’s quality standards, this one takes the cake. Okay, stupid pun I know but I had to throw it out there. What ever happened to actually listening [...]

Comment by Kelly
Oct 23, 2007 7:30 PM

One can never have enough cake.

Comment by dbsharkeyjacoby
Oct 23, 2007 7:46 PM

Funny, though I might have to disagree with your sentiment that Wal-Mart isn’t necessarily “bad.” They’re a pretty horrible company when you get down to it.

-D

Comment by Topher
Oct 23, 2007 7:52 PM

I like the story about the cake for a going-away party for an old Jewish man finally making his pilgrammage to Israel. The cake read
Happy Birthday
Mazel Tov

Comment by MarieAntoinette
Oct 23, 2007 8:04 PM

Despite the muddle of the middle line, the writing is formed rather nicely, ne c’est pas?

Let them eat it, I say.

Comment by milo
Dec 20, 2007 10:41 AM

You mean “ce n’est pas?” or “n’est-ce pas?” If you want to sound smart, at least get it right.

Comment by K.R
Oct 23, 2007 8:28 PM

well it could be much worse, I personally would have laughed at it and thought ” hey someone has an awesome sense of humor!”

Comment by bb
Oct 23, 2007 9:46 PM

my aunt once worked in a bakery and recieved an order for a cake from someone with a nut allergy. the order read: “happy birthday (NO NUTS).” the cake read: “happy birthday, no nuts.”

Comment by Morgan
Oct 23, 2007 11:01 PM

@dbsharkeyjacoby

I wouldn’t call that evidence. I know plenty of people that work at, and love, Walmart. At the new Super Center in Cleveland, where it was ‘unwanted’ (probably by the Target shoppers in their Lexus SUVs) there were 5000 applications for 350 jobs.

Target had not hired those folks. Costco had not hired those folks. Those people made a decision to apply, and yet people love to decide FOR those people that they don’t knwo what they’re doing.

Walmart got zero incentives or tax breaks to move in. No subsidies, no eminent domain.

The people that generally make the most stink about a Walmart are those that neither need a job or lower prices. Well, congrats, I’m glad you enjoy projecting your views on everyone else.

Anyway, take it as rote that we are just as happy that certain people don’t visit Walmart as those folks are happy not to. It’s great to be free.

Comment by Ugly American
Oct 23, 2007 11:25 PM

I’d hit up a privately owned bakery. There are people who are in the biz because they love it, not just to make a profit. They’re almost always gonna have a better product and many of them can deliver.

And when it comes to Walmart or Target, I’d go to Costco. Even if I had to drive across town. They treat their people better and so their people treat people better. Plus, their products are a better value. (price/quality)

Comment by Alex de Lastname
Oct 24, 2007 1:31 AM

In the 80′s I was interested in shortwave radio so I called the South African Consulate in Toronto and asked them to send me a frequency guide and schedule.
The envelope read:

Alex Small de de Lastname

Perhaps I should have said lower case d.

Oct 24, 2007 5:01 AM

[...] try to avoid Wal-Mart when I can. Here is one instance in which Wal-Mart should have been avoided: This Is Why You Never Order Custom Cakes From WalMart One of the supervisors called a Walmart and ordered the cake. he told them to write: “best wishes [...]

Comment by Claude
Oct 24, 2007 6:26 PM

I once received a letter ‘Dear Child Molester’ from a major magazine company. I sue them.

Comment by James Rog
Oct 24, 2007 7:04 PM

Gangstas shop at Walmart, rich ppl shop at Target

Comment by JKfan87
Oct 24, 2007 9:38 PM

The saddest part of your comment is that you actually believe that.

Comment by DNA
Oct 24, 2007 9:26 PM

You be a hell of a lot more worried about the trans-fat, high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors and colors that are *in* that cake than what’s written on it.

Comment by JKfan87
Oct 24, 2007 9:36 PM

r supervison is partially to blame. Who the hell gives directions like that? No need to say “and underneath that”. People are busy at any store. They know where how to write. So they know that when you say something, you then continue the next set of words UNDERNEATH.

Comment by Nebulous
Nov 28, 2007 7:18 PM

Not so much on a rectangular cake, but on a round cake one must specify UNDERNEATH, so that they don’t wrap the text around the border of the cake.

And if you’re really careful, you could put all of that text on a single line.

Comment by Dave Greiman
Oct 24, 2007 9:47 PM

Oh boy, folks, you are going to really feel embarrassed here. The cake’s message is fine. It’s just the lack of a period causing confusion. Here’s how it should have been if properly punctuated:

“Best wishes Suzanne Under. Neat that we will miss you.”

;-)

Comment by Kurt
Oct 24, 2007 10:30 PM

This reminds me of a prank call a friend and I used to make when we were kids. Before caller ID, when you could have fun with a phone!

We would call our local Carvel, which used to be, or maybe still is a chain ice cream store. They used to run commercials on TV, for cookie puss, and the whale.

We would call the same store every Friday night, and talk to the same lady! We would ask for cakes for various occasions. Can I get cherries in the middle, the crumbes, all these details of the perfect cake or our occasion. The last question would always be, can you make it in the shape of a pu$$y? But we would use the C word.

She would curse and scream at us, and then about 30 minutes later, we would be at Carvel, eating ice cream.

Comment by John
Oct 24, 2007 10:38 PM

I bet you put all of that inside the “put what you want written on the cake here” BOX User Error.

Comment by Greg
Oct 24, 2007 11:08 PM

I’m just down the street from the Walmart/Target situation that was described. I do have to say that regardless of which parking lot you are in, people drive like maniacs. But that’s a whole different can of worms …

Funny cake, thanks for sharing.

Comment by Paul
Oct 25, 2007 6:00 AM

I bought a Norelco razor at Target. It had an 8 hour charge time. Norelco razors charge in 1 hour. Norelco only sells their obsolete 8 hour charge to Target. I paid approximately $90.00 for an obsolete razer at Target. You shop there, I’ll go to Walmart and I won’t buy Norelco products.

Oct 25, 2007 6:33 AM

[...] here’s a link to the original News story.  Enjoy it and all that; I’m gonna go watch “Little House on the Prairie” and [...]

Comment by Maria
Oct 25, 2007 8:23 AM

Only Walnuts work at Walmart

Oct 25, 2007 11:33 AM

[...]  [story taken from the gin blog] [...]

Oct 26, 2007 4:43 AM

[...] Link: The Gin Blog [...]

Oct 27, 2007 1:07 AM

[...] (via The GinBlog) [...]

Nov 08, 2007 7:42 AM

[...] has a pet peeve! « Drum Solo Cake Decorating November 8th, 2007 The GinBlog has a funny story about getting a cake from Wal-Mart. Some people that work here had a going away [...]

Nov 09, 2007 2:06 PM

[...] a great reason not to order a custom cake from Wal-Mart….from the GinBlog.  Bwah – ha ha ha ha [...]

Comment by Fuzz
Nov 12, 2007 6:03 PM

And this is the time we realize that Wal-mart prevents any non-executive (manager, supervisor, etc) job from obtaining a “Full-time job status” (That is 40 hours a week).

Nov 17, 2007 7:59 PM

[...] via The Gin Blog [...]

Nov 27, 2007 11:04 PM

[...] is a thing of such beauty, that I can’t say anything but point you to it. It even took me a few seconds to grasp what had transpired, it’s so [...]

Comment by Isabel
Nov 29, 2007 9:04 PM

wow…wow…wow
Did a supervisor proofread that? LOL

Comment by Mike
Dec 05, 2007 5:49 AM

Target is getting the same way but I stopped going to Walmart when there were 35 registers but only three were open.
The other day I saw a commercial for Walmart were employees were just turning on and off the lights at the register. Not working, not taking care of customers just turning the register lights on and off. Seems about right.

Comment by Ginnie
Dec 05, 2007 9:20 AM

This is very true. I’m actually writing another Walmart related article and while the prices are right, there’s a very evident and definite trade-off with customer service.

Comment by T.Ferg
Dec 05, 2007 9:44 AM

Holy crap, could you possibly be more eletist?

Dec 10, 2007 1:06 PM

[...] and often two if you counted the person bagging the groceries, now many grocery stores, like Super Walmart, have gone to a turn style type bagging system where the cashier now scans AND bags. Additionally, [...]

Jan 18, 2008 2:47 PM

[...] [Photo courtesy of The GinBlog] [...]

Comment by Lordvader
Feb 28, 2008 3:52 AM

In spain there isn´t Wallmart. I don´t have this problem :-)

Mar 13, 2008 10:43 PM

[...] Link [...]

Mar 17, 2008 8:23 PM

[...] One more reason Wal-Mart sucks Some people that work here had a going away party the other day for a woman that is leaving. [...]

Comment by Fanatic
Apr 17, 2008 10:16 AM

Thats hilarious.One orders a cake gets nothing but tension.Thank God we don’t have wal-mart in Pakistan.Otherwise we have to see sucking thing like this one.

Comment by Saim Baig
Apr 17, 2008 10:18 AM

I have been looking for article like this to prove that Wal-Mart sucks.Now its proved.

Comment by TS
Jul 02, 2008 7:14 AM

My nieces birthday cake was priceless. “Happy Birtday” Also a WalMart cake.

Jul 04, 2008 4:30 PM

[...] Seems some clerk in the bakery of a Wal-mart took a phone-in order a bit too literally: [...]

Jul 19, 2008 1:16 PM

[...] of The Gin Blog No Comments so far Leave a comment RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI [...]

Sep 05, 2008 12:46 PM

[...] Arizona real estate housing bubble hit and even the boonies had new development going up for homes, Walmarts, Costcos, and other cookie cutter commercial landmarks, the oil drums were discovered by a backhoe. [...]

Sep 05, 2008 4:06 PM

[...] Hey, at least the employee follows directions. ;) link [...]

Comment by Bailey
Nov 03, 2008 5:32 PM

hi I like the cake that it says “Best Wishes Susan
under neath that We Will Miss You”

Comment by Tina
Nov 20, 2008 3:48 PM

Well we have both Wal-mart and Target here, and Wal-mart pays almost $2 an hour more than Target. I have friends that work at both. Cindy started 9.50 an hr at target and Madison at 11.25 an hr at Wal-mart, they both started right around the same time. I think it’s sad though that this is what people are talking about and arguing over, when this started out as a comment on a cake that was messed up.

Comment by Kate
Jan 23, 2009 9:48 PM

This cake was actually one of the inspirations for a really amazing blog called Cakewrecks. I read it every day, and trust me; it gets SO much worse! It’s at cakewrecks.blogspot.com, you should check it out.

Aug 15, 2009 8:04 PM

[...] people at Suzanne’s work had a goodbye party for her. One of the supervisors called the local Wal-Mart and [...]

Comment by jenny
Aug 18, 2009 7:58 AM

Alright I know this is an old article but I still need to say what I need to say. I am a cake decorator at (yes) walmart. I find it very funny that everyone gets so down on wal-mart. Yet you probably still shop there, right?

Or how one think that because someone with a Lexus SUV would be “seen” parking in a target versus a walmart. WHO CARES! Really the economy is so bad right now that I think that that person who is driving the Lexus SUV is probably smart for trying to save their money. Regardless if they choose Target or Wal-mart.

As for Cake decorating, yes it was a silly mistake and had the guy brought it back and said “hey you messed up” walmart is 100% money back guarantee. this mistake is also very easy to fix. The frosting from being in the fridge will get hard enough to just pull it off with a scissors.

You never know it could have been a beginner. It’s not like walmart puts their cake decorators through cake school. We are all pretty much self taught.

Comment by Sally McCormick
Oct 09, 2009 5:06 PM

Great photos!

You have to wonder, is this just somebody who follows instructions to the letter, or somebody who thought they were funny?

And how do you get around this? Do you say “best wishes suzanne – end quote – below that write – start quote – we will miss you”

and if you did, would it look even worse?

Comment by Christina
Feb 17, 2010 9:01 PM

I happen to work at a Wal-mart in Tallahassee with a very talented cake decorating team. They have made custom golf courses, picnic tables complete with chicken leg, hamburger, and a red and white table cloth all done with icing and creative life like spraying for the colors.

Sure stupid mistakes shown as the “underneath that” stuff are really funny, but tell me, where are you going to get a custom golf course, picnic table, or High School mascot half sheet cake for 30 dollars?

You tell me cause, Publix only does roses and kit cakes, they don’t allow creativity.

Comment by Cake
Feb 12, 2012 8:54 AM

HAHAHA…I work in the Wal-Mart Bakery in a very “Southern” part of the country…The funny thing to me is the fact that this could be misinterpreted…To me the uneducated people are the customers placing the cake orders, Honest to God I get 1 out of every 10 people that don’t talk in Ebonics or southern slang…I mean come on if you’ve every worked for the public you have to understand.

Comment by Tim
Mar 09, 2012 7:35 PM

I’d bet someone ordered this cake just like that as a joke, rather than assume the worst of some hardworking folks.

Comment by Sherri
Mar 22, 2012 7:18 AM

That is hilarious!

Comment by Mandy
Sep 25, 2012 8:17 PM

To be fair, I work at Wal-Mart and unless management is not doing their job I would hate to be the employee who did that if the customer complained about it. Obviously the employee who made that cake should leave all writing to someone who is fluent in the english language. I plan to get my daughter’s cake from my store when it’s time for her first birthday party and I have no fears about it not coming out right.

Comment by vnioght
Dec 17, 2012 3:12 PM

funny I have seen three variations of this cake on different sites – they all are the same color scheme, but the writing and the flowers are a little off – seems pretty made up to me – not saying things like this don’t happen but still…. and maybe this did happen, but why re create a cake and pretend it was the original mistake just to keep ragging on walmart – nothing better to do I guess – and the reason I ran across this is I am actually about to order a cake from walmart – not stalking blogs about cake disasters lol

Comment by Jane
Jan 21, 2013 9:05 PM

At Bruno’s what was supposed to be: Happy Birthday Johnathan, was: Happy Birthday Jo Nathan :/

Comment by jessica
Jul 25, 2013 4:06 PM

I have ordered cakes for my kids from different wapmarts. I have never had a problem. I am also an Walmart associate and yes this is funny and if it happened to my managers they would laugh about it, but that mistake doesn’t mean that every Walmart will do that or that its happened again at that Walmart.

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)
**If you haven't posted before, your comment may require approval before it's displayed**