7 Reasons Why Even Ugly Artificial Slaughter Is Better Than Natural Slaughter

July 9th, 2008 | by MG | (Visited 280,876 times)

Kosher Slaughter, Vegans, And Not Smiling CowsI love animals, I really do. However, many “animal lovers” are simply out of touch with reality. While humans may not need to eat animals to survive, to remain athletic and active, it really helps. While there are exceptions to this, they are far and few between. The reasoning is that in a vegan lifestyle, to obtain the 150 to 250 grams of protein per day that one would need to successfully build muscle (assuming a weight of between 150-250 pounds), the extra fiber and carbohydrates gained from eating foods that would provide that protein would destroy the careful ratios you’d be trying to observe. There are a couple vegan-friendly foods that provide heavy doses of protein in a serving, but not enough to reliably, affordably, and easily integrate them into a diet without growing tired of things pretty fast.

I’m not here to argue the nutritional merits of vegan lifestyles though, I’m here to bring a little dose of sanity and reality to the idea that humans are so far out of touch with nature that we’re savagely cruel to animals.

My inspiration for this rant was due to a debate that raged elsewhere, leading one commenter to say:

When predators kill they go for the throat and suffocate the animal quickly so it’s nothing like the horrific sh*t you see in the video.

Having seen my share of nature documentaries, I know this isn’t true. Animals in the wild equate to a 2 year old face-pounding a plate of spaghetti. They’re messy, unorganized, and things get ugly quickly. The introduction of human tools, like a fork and spoon or fork and knife, can greatly help make this process more efficient.

Most animals, if possible, either neutralize the threat from thrashing limbs, teeth, and claws or take an opposite approach where they are less likely to encounter said limbs. No matter how they do it – it isn’t pretty. The latter can be seen by the Komodo Dragon video further down.

After searching YouTube for a few minutes, I came up with 7 videos that show how various animals could care less about how humanely they’re killing their food. I do love animals very much, but some of the armchair hippies I run into during discussions like this need to realize that compared to these following videos… Even this terrible application of Kosher slaughter seems humane.

*** WARNING: The below videos may be considered graphic ***

The Undercover Kosher Slaughterhouse Video That Started This All

This Agriprocessors, Inc. slaughterhouse video has been circulating the web, recently making headlines on various PETA sites. I admit, the first time I saw it, I was outraged at how long the cattle survived after receiving their “death swipe”. Upon further investigation, this seems to be adhering to protocols set out by kosher slaughterhouse guidelines. Though I won’t claim it is a good representation of how a Kosher slaughterhouse SHOULD be run, it seems to be how at least this one IS being run. The cow must have his heart kept beating so that it freely pumps the blood out, bleeding the cow. Blood left in the meat will allow disease to grow and also go against a tenant held that (loosely put), “one should not eat the blood, as it is life”.

Here seems to be a more detailed write-up of how kosher slaughter is to be performed.

Now, just to be clear, the below video, in my uneducated opinion, does NOT seem to properly adhere to Kosher guidelines. I want to establish that now. Then again, Agriprocessors, Inc. also just suffered a huge loss of workers after an immigration raid by the feds. Though the use of illegals is common in the slaughter and food preparation industry.

When I first saw that, I was disgusted. Like most, I was used to my fish already de-scaled with the head/tail cut off.. my chicken boneless, skinless, and colorless, etc. Most normal folks rarely think of how that food gets there.

But let’s take a look at how nature approaches slaughter. My point here is this:

Can you honestly watch the below videos and truly claim that humans are careless savages who inhumanely kill their food?

While things can and should be done better, I’d argue that even the horrific video above pales in comparison to how these animals kill the animals they eat for food. As these animals eat their prey alive, in every below instance, you see the kill is anything but efficient and quick.

The Polar Bear vs The Walrus

Hyenas vs The Wildebeest

Hyenas vs The Buffalo

Lion vs Zebra

Komodo Dragon vs Fallen Deer

Dogs vs Llama

Python vs Baby Chick

RSS feed | Trackback URI

14 Comments »

Comment by Sara
Jul 09, 2008 1:05 AM

OH MY GOD THAT SNAKE ONE IS SOOO SAD!!

Comment by MadHatter
Jul 09, 2008 1:07 AM

Wow.. if you only watch the first video you feel that humans are just terrible and thoughtless creatures.

Then when you watch the next few, especially the hyena and python one, you realize that death itself is just sad and ugly.

I think we can house our food better, but the slaughter is a necessary evil. Going back to the first video, the process itself does seem more efficient to a degree.

I need a shower.

Comment by Carl James
Jul 09, 2008 1:08 AM

You’re being too conservative with the protein estimates. Many folks need 1.5x their bodyweight, 1x won’t do much good.

Comment by Ginnie
Jul 09, 2008 1:12 AM

I was shooting for conservative there. That argument can usually be defeated by settling for 1.5grams per pound of body weight.

There ARE vegan/vegetarian bodybuilders, but the effort needed to sustain that mass is so much more intense than other diets.

It can be done, but whether it’s a personal or social issue, it’s unrealistic.

Comment by Animal Lover
Jul 09, 2008 1:09 AM

Lions do go for the throat, you just picked bad examples to show.

Comment by Mark Rowe
Jul 09, 2008 1:13 AM

It’s less the killing of the animals that us “armchair hippies” are concerned with.

It’s the treatment of the animals PREVIOUS to their murder.

Comment by Ginnie
Jul 09, 2008 1:19 AM

I agree, to keep meat affordable, living conditions go by the way side.

Additionally, from what I’ve read the inspectors are rarely able to do much due to powerful lobbying and such. Few inspections are taken seriously.

I do disagree with the term murder though. Murder seems to imply malice rather than necessity.

Comment by TK.
Jul 09, 2008 11:27 PM

For the first one, all of that torture isn’t necessary. It’s kind of sick to just watch the cows thrashing around on the ground with their throats torn open.

I wasn’t too fazed by the others, although showing the zebra’s eyes while it was dying was sad.

I kind of felt bad for the chickie, though. I wanted to save it. :{

Comment by GPH
Jul 11, 2008 8:06 PM

Nature red in tooth and claw! I did not have the stomach to watch any of them actually. I generally switch channels from Nat Geo or Discovery to the news when they show the ‘kill’ but then the news can be equally as gory so….

Comment by Eva White
Jul 14, 2008 11:44 PM

I don’t think I ever want to see such a video again. It quite puts me off anything to do with animals.

Comment by Kate
Jan 23, 2009 10:16 PM

I’m an animal science/agribusiness major, and because my college has a meat processing plant, I’ve watched the slaughtering process for hogs. I’ve also seen videos in class detailing the slaughtering process for cattle. It’s nasty, disgusting, and far from the ideal death for most of the animals; but compared to what happens in nature, it’s far better. I firmly believe that slaughter regulations need to be put in place and enforced to prevent unnecessary cruelty and distress; however, I rather like a good piece of ham or some roasted chicken or a juicy roast.

Nature is cruel. I’ve had rabbits killed by dogs. I had one of my rabbits killed by a hawk. I’ve had baby rabbits killed by a cat. I’ve had my cats killed by something, we don’t know what (we call it the “Ozark Mountain Troll”). I vividly remember seeing their torn, battered bodies, and the thought that they were in pain and terrified as they died sickens me. Man can be cruel too, but not nearly as bad as nature sometimes.

Comment by popi
Mar 28, 2009 10:01 AM

huh just stumble here by acident while googlin. i read ur artical. and i must say some of the ways used to kill animals for meat may seem cruel but if done in other ways such as just takin a blade and cuttin right through the cows neck, will cause an adredilen rush and spoil the meat. chickens arnt beheaded while their alive anymore they electricute them same wit turkeys.

Comment by Lar
Dec 13, 2009 6:10 AM

No one can debate the existence of prolonged suffering of animals killed in the wild, however the fact that it exists does not make it ethically right for us to work within that framework.

For starters, these wild animals have a chance at survival and freedom. Animals destined for the slaughterhouse are born and bred in human captivity and have no chance of escaping their fate.

Also, many animals are equal practitioners of incest, rape, pedophilia, violence, etc.
Your argument that current slaughterhouse practices shouldn’t be strongly opposed because it doesn’t equal natural killing would mean one can be ethically justified without prosecution of having sex with a child because animals do it themselves, and more savage and brutal then a human may do it.

I think if we are going to deprive these animals of any chance of a natural life then the very least we can do is have their death the most humane it possibly can.

Comment by Cher
Jul 15, 2011 11:18 AM

Hey Moron, We are supposed to be BETTER THAN THE ANIMALS!! We are supposed to have compassion for ALL LIVING THINGS!! There is no comparison to that and you are an Idiot for even making it so. Let’s hang your mama upside down and slit her throat and see how she likes it. If we are to compare what we do to animals then this should be ok right? Animals do it so it’s ok for us. See how stupid this argument and your perspective is? Now go kick your dog like the BIG MAN you are!!

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)
**If you haven't posted before, your comment may require approval before it's displayed**